Author Notes: I eat a lot of endive, watercress and blue cheese salads but sometimes I find myself craving an alternative. I'm a big fan of Stilton Cheese and I love the way chicory holds salad dressing. - sweet enough
- 1 head chicory, washed and dried with tough outer leaves removed
- one bulb fennel, tough outer section removed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 head radicchio, washed and cut into a mediem shred
- 2 ripe but firm pears, like bartlett or anjou
- 3/4 cups crumbled stilton (or blue) cheese
- 3/4 cups toasted pecans, broken into pieces
- juice of one blood orange
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olilve oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- coarse salt and pepper to taste
- tear the chicory into bite size pieces and place in a large salad bowl with the fennel and radicchio
- place the mustard, orange juice, shallot, and vinegar in a jar or mixing bowl and whisk in the olive oil in a steady stream. mix in salt and pepper and pour over the salad, reserving a little bit to pour over the top of the salad. gently toss the salad.
- peel, core, and thinly slice the pears. spread out over the top of the salad. sprinkle on the cheese and nuts and spoon on the leftover dressing.