Author Notes: There are many similar recipes on the Internet, but my friend Maria and I changed it to make it our own. It is a summer favorite at my beach cottage to snack on while having cocktails on the porch or a nice addition to the cooler at the beach. Everyone loves it and it presents beautifully. - belfman
Serves 8+ for appetizers
- 3 Store bought or homemade balls of pizza dough
- 3/4-1 cups Olive oil
- 1 pound Fresh mozzarella
- 2 cups Fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup Fresh basil
- 1 cup Chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and Fresh ground pepper
- Mix Italian seasoning, salt and pepper into olive oil in a wide mouth bowl. Spray a bundt or angel food cake pan lightly with vegetable spray and set next to bowl. Pull off 2" pieces of pizza dough and roll into a ball. Place in bottom of cake pan. Continue until bottom is completely covered. Sprinkle one clove of garlic, 1/2 of spinach leaves, 1/2 of cheese,1/2 of tomatoes and 1/2 of the basil Add another layer of pizza dough balls, then the garlic, spinach, cheese, tomatoes and basil.. Add one more layer of pizza dough balls.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 mins. Let cool for 15 minutes. Run a plastic knife around the pan. Put a plate on top and invert. Serve by slicing like a cake.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe