Author Notes: The name kind of says it all. I was thinking about eggs sardou, but didn't want to bother with all the separate elements, so I kind of combined (some of) them into a simple baked egg. I was on my own so this is a single serving, but it scales up easily. - fiveandspice
- 1 oil-packed anchovy fillet
- 1/2 small clove garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups spinach leaves (or chopped kale or chard)
- 2 artichoke hearts - you can used canned, frozen, or fresh ones you cook yourself - halved
- salt and pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 pinch sweet paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon shredded Parmesan
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Using a large knife, smash and chop the anchovy fillet and garlic to a coarse paste. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet until shimmering, then add the anchovy and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the greens and cook for a couple minutes, until wilted. Gently stir in the artichoke heart pieces plus a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a small baking dish or ramekin, and push it a bit to one side to make a little space for the egg. Crack the egg on top and drizzle the cream over the whole thing. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper, plus a pinch of paprika and cayenne and the Parmesan.
- Put the baking dish/ramekin in another larger dish and pour warm water around it to come halfway up the sides. Bake until the white of the egg is set, but the yolk is still runny, about 15 minutes. Serve warm, and accompany with crusty bread, if you wish.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!