If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish
For the Pickled Fennel:
- 1 medium fennel bulb, fronds removed but with stems trimmed, quartered and sliced lengthwise into 1/8-inch planks
- 1 hot dried chili (optional)
- 2 sprigs dill
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- Put the fennel in a 1-quart jar. Add the chili (if using), dill, mustard and fennel seeds.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, salt, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil over high heat and then pour into the jar with the fennel. Screw on the lid and refrigerate and serve once cool. The pickled fennel will keep in the fridge for at least 2 weeks.
For the Salad:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled farro
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely (1/4-inch) chopped pickled fennel
- 1 tablespoon fennel pickling liquid
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped dill leaves (or half dill, half fennel fronds if you saved them)
- In a serving bowl, combine all of the ingredients and fold gently to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper, pickling juices or olive oil if you'd like. Serve right away or let the salad sit at room temperature for up to an hour before serving. It will also keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!