If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I recently came across a recipe for roasted strawberries from Joy the Baker, who adapted her recipe from Super Natural Every Day. I am so thankful that these ladies introduced me to the method of roasting strawberries. I made a minor change of my own and added the strawberries to my own personal cake recipe. Enjoy it for dessert, or even for breakfast (you know you want to). —The-Broken-Bread
Makes one 9-inch cake
For the roasted strawberries
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F and set a rack in the center of the oven.
- Hull and slice the strawberries and place them in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup, and a pinch of kosher salt, and pour the mixture over the sliced strawberries. Use your hands or a spatula to coat all the strawberries.
- Place strawberries on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, until the strawberries are soft and their juices have begun to thicken. (Joy the Baker suggests removing the strawberries if they begin to burn, but thankfully I didn’t have that problem.)
- Place roasted strawberries in bowl until ready to use in the cake.
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cups chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, egg, egg yolk, oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into cake pan. Be sure to spread the mixture evenly -- the batter will be quite thick.
- Pour the roasted strawberries and their juices over the batter, and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.
- Bake for 28 to 33 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. The cake will be down when the tester pulls out clean.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Tequila's Not a One-Hit Wonder
Master the margarita—then go crazy
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Our latest #f52contest.
It's time to travel.
This week's #happylist.
Off to market.