If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a nutrient-dense and delicious salad made with lentils, kamut (an ancient grain), and delicious avocado. It's all tossed and drizzled with a fragrant basil oil dressing. - Petit World Citizen
Food52 Review: Looking for a new grain in your life? Kamut really packs a nutrient-rich punch. A satisfying super grain, Kamut upgrades this salad to a hearty entree. The avocado adds a rich creaminess, and the basil dressing is just simply delicious. You can't help but feel good after eating this super healthy and delicious salad. - Anna Francese Gass
Serves 6 to 8
French Lentil, Kamut, and Avocado Salad
- 1/2 cup French lentils
- 3 to 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup kamut berries, soaked overnight and drained
- 4 to 5 cups arugula and/or other mixed greens
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled in strips
- 3 radishes, julienned
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons flaxseeds, plus more for garnish
- 3 to 4 avocados
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring lentils and water or vegetable broth to a boil and simmer until lentils are slightly tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, bring kamut berries to boil in 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth. Decrease the heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook until the kamut berries are tender, but still slightly chewy, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain any remaining liquid and allow to cool.
- To make the basil dressing: In a mini food processor blend the oil, garlic, fresh basil, and salt.
- Once the lentils and kamut have cooled, make the salad. In a large bowl, add greens, fennel, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, green onions, pumpkin seeds, and flaxseeds. Gradually add basil dressing, keeping in mind you may not use all of it. Toss to combine. Taste and adjust for salt. Let salad sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together. Toss again before serving; serve with 1/2 sliced avocado on top of each salad. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds, and drizzle with more basil oil dressing.
- Note: When using kamut, don’t forget to soak overnight in advance. If you have difficulty finding kamut berries, you can substitute farro, spelt, or wheat berries.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
Flourless Almond & Coconut Cake
Looked for salad, ended up with cake: Life in a nutshell.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Recipe of the Day
Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Lime Popsicles
An out of the blue use for a mason jar.
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.