If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sabich is an Israeli sandwich traditionally made with fried eggplant, eggs, tahini, and salad. Here, the potato salad is made with spinach and fresh mango, to complement the mango in the amba sauce, the traditional dressing used with sabich. For best flavor and texture, make all the components of the sandwich first, and then make the salad just before you assemble the sandwiches.
- The Weiser Kitchen
Spinach and Fresh Mango Potato Salad
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups cold pre-cooked, boiled potatoes (slightly firm), peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup minced sour dill pickles
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 6 cups finely shredded spinach or any raw, mildly bitter green
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup peeled and diced pickling cucumbers (about 2½ Persian cucumbers)
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
The Sandwich with Roasted Garlic Tahini Sauce
- 2 cups sesame seed paste (tahini), Joyva brand preferred
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 5 large lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 heads roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 large lavash breads, Joseph's whole grain or garlic preferred
- 16 hard-cooked eggs, peeled, chilled, cut into 4 slices each
- 16 slices Crispy Fried Shawarma-Spiced Eggplant (recipe on Food52 by TheWeiserKitchen
- 3/4 cup commercial Amba sauce, Noona's brand preferred
- Make the roasted garlic tahini sauce: In the bowl of a food processor, combine the sesame paste, mustard, cumin, lemon juice, parsley, sumac, coriander, salt, and pepper. Separate the cloves of garlic from the roasted head and squeeze out the insides. (Squeeze really well to get every last bit of luscious garlic! Make sure none of the papery peel gets into the mixture.) Process until completely smooth. With the processor running, drizzle in the oil until it is completely incorporated and smooth.
- Make the salad: Combine the mustard and vinegar in a bowl and whisk together until thoroughly blended. Add the salt and pepper and whisk to incorporate. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil so it emulsifies.
- Add the potatoes, tossing gently with a spoon to coat well. Add the pickles, parsley, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, and mango and toss gently to coat. Set aside until ready to serve. This salad should be made JUST before putting the sandwiches together!
- Make the sandwiches: Heat the oven to 300°F. Wrap the lavash in foil, and place in the oven to warm through, removing each as you make the sandwiches.
- Place a lavash on a work surface. Coat with ⅓ cup tahini sauce from end to end. Top with 4 slices of eggplant, positioning them to cover the entire flatbread. Then place slices of 2 eggs across the lavash (the side way). Cover with about one-fourth of the salad and drizzle with the Amba Sauce (or serve it on the side).
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve.