If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After a day spent foraging and gobbling berries in the woods, the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time cooking, so I opt to make this incredibly simple pie with pre-made pie crust -- but you can use your favorite crust recipe. The pie is all berry, to let the pure flavor of the wild shine through, with just a bit of zing from lemon and cassis. This recipe is also quite adaptable in terms of how much of each type of berry to use -- so if I end up eating most of the blueberries on the trail, I can just add in more wineberries, and so on. - tama matsuoka wong
Makes one double-crust, 9-inch pie
- 1 recipe pie crust (for a double-crust pie), or store-bought
- 5 cups mixed wild berries (I used 2 cups wineberries, 2 cups blueberries, and 1 cup mulberries)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cassis
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 lemon zest
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons fruit jam, or enough to spread on the pie crust (I used wineberry-blueberry jam from last year)
- 1 egg yolk, optional
- Raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- In a large bowl, mix the berries, sugar, cassis, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour until just combined.
- Press the bottom crust into your pie plate, then spread the fruit jam in an even layer over the base of the pie crust. Scoop in the berry mixture.
- Cut the top pie crust into 3/4-inch strips and place them on top of the fruit in a lattice pattern. Attach the end of each strip to the edges of the bottom crust by pinching and crimping.
- Brush the top crust with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with a dusting of raw sugar. Place the pie on a sheet to catch any bubbling overflow of fruit.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 10 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350° F.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbling and the crust has lightly browned.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!