If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Rustic simplicity: a beautifully uncomplicated and charming summer dessert. Here, homemade pastry crust folds around two types of berries—black raspberry and blueberry—making a beautiful deep purple tart. Really, almost any summer berry or fruit would yield equally delicious results. Galette pastry recipe adapted from Anna Thomas. - Petit World Citizen
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, separated
- 2/3 cups Neufchâtel (reduced fat cream-cheese), cut in pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold plant-based milk (I used hemp milk)
- Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, lemon zest and salt in a food processor. Pulse to mix. Add 3 tablespoons coconut oil and cream cheese and pulse until the mix looks like coarse meal. Add the rest of the coconut oil and pulse until the mixture looks like wet sand. Add milk and pulse until small clumps form.
- Transfer the dough to a sheet of parchment paper and press into a ball, then press the ball into a round disk about 8-inches wide. Wrap in the parchment and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to a day before rolling out.
Mixed Berry Galette
- 1 Galette Pastry (recipe above)
- 1.5 cups black raspberries
- 1.5 cups blueberries
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1 egg, beaten with a teaspoon of water (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons turbinado sugar (optional)
- Prepare galette pastry. After dough has chilled at least an hour, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface (preferably parchment paper) into a round about 12 inches wide.
- In a bowl, combine berries, lemon juice, sugar and flour. Spoon filling into prepared dough, leaving a 2-inch uncovered border. Fold the edge up and over the filling, forming loose pleats.
- Brush the border with the egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Transfer galette, with parchment paper, onto a baking sheet. Bake until berry filling bubbles and the pastry is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve alone or with ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe