If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This vegetable slaw is bright, tangy, and perfect atop a high-quality hot dog. —Cara Nicoletti
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 beet, peeled
- 1 red onion, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 radish
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 chili de Arbol (optional)
- Julienne all vegetables into thin matchsticks. Place the beet and onion matchsticks together in a 1-pint ball jar (separate them from the other vegetables to keep everything from turning pink), and then place carrot, radish, and cucumbers together in a separate 1-pint ball jar.
- Whisk all brine ingredients together in a medium nonreactive pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve. Once mixture has cooled to room temperature, divide it evenly between your two jars of vegetables. Let them sit for at least 1 hour -- the flavor will get stronger over the course of 24 hours.
- Toss cilantro and parsley with pickled vegetables, then pile on top of a hot dog, taco, or burger.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!