Author Notes: I love these puffy little snacks. The smoky pimenton plays nicely with the salty, spicy, sweet flavors here. - mrslarkin
Serves about 2 cups
- 2 cups raw pepitas
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce (the one with the rooster)
- 1/4 teaspoon pimenton ahumado
- 1/2 cup dried cranberies, optional
- additional salt for sprinkling
- lime wedges
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, sugar, sriracha, and pimenton ahumado.
- Heat a heavy frying pan to medium, add the pepitas and dry-fry for a few minutes, stirring constantly as they puff up. You’ll hear some popping sounds.
- When all the seeds are puffy, add the garlic and stir for a few more minutes. Add the sauce mixture to the pan and stir to mix. Turn heat to low, and keep stirring for a few more minutes, until all seeds are coated well.
- At this point, seeds can be turned out onto a sheet pan, cooled and stored for later use. Or continue with next step if serving immediately.
- Pour pepitas into a bowl. Mix in ½ cup dried cranberries, if desired. Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Serve with lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the seeds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack