Author Notes: I make this soup a lot because I always have everything I need on hand. Best of all, it only has 5 ingredients (if you don't count salt and pepper). It's good pureed or with the slices of onion floating around, and it freezes well. - erinmcdowell
Makes 1 1/2 quarts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 (14 oz) cans beef broth (or 6 cups homemade)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, and toss to coat evenly in oil.
- Reduce heat to low and saute, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 10-12 minutes
- Stir in the garlic, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, and stir until it reduces completely. Add the broth, and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer until the soup has good flavor, about 20-25 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Onion or Garlic Soup