If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my comfort foods, and what I make for my family when they're feeling buggy. Any stock will do, but I love the flavors of the Vietnamese-inspired chicken stock -- and it makes the house smell great. —rpetralia
ph? chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs or a combination of chicken parts
- 1 gallon water, to fill a big pot
- 3 carrots, unpeeled, cut in big chunks
- 2 yellow onions, peeled, quartered
- 4 star anise pods
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 2"
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
making the soup
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves peeled and whole
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 handful fresh basil or cilantro, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a big pot over med-hi heat, sauté the chicken in the olive oil for a minute or two just to sear the skins.
- Add the water, leaving space in the pot for some boiling action.
- Add the rest of the stock ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover, keeping lid ajar to release steam. Let simmer for about 40 minutes, skimming the stock from time to time.
- When the chicken's cooked and falling apart a bit, strain the stock and return to a boil. Save the chicken for a chicken salad and discard the mushy veggies.
- Add the garlic to the boiling stock, reduce heat, and simmer until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup with a stick blender (or in a regular blender) and pour into a serving bowl.
- In a little bowl, mix together the tomato, green onion, olive oil, basil or cilantro, and s+p.
- Serve the soup topped with the tomato mixture. Delish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Onion or Garlic Soup
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.