If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A compilation of a few fave dishes from various restaurants and recipe books. The toasted seeds are reminiscent of a sandwich served at a small bakery in town and the salad is reminiscent of my mother-in-law's beet & blue cheese salad. Delelectable! —thefood
for the salad...
- 4-6 large beets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shelled, roasted & salted pistachios (not the red ones)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (preferably black & white)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds (crushed or whole)
- 1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 cups arugula or baby arugula
- 1-2 cups romaine lettuce, sliced
- 6 ounces soft goat cheese
for the dressing...
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or pistachio oil if you have)
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon packed finely grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice beets into thin, bite sized chunks or pieces (peel on or off, your choice), place into roasting pan & drizzle with 4 TB olive oil. Place pan in oven & roast until beets are tender. Set aside.
- In a large pan, place pistachios, sesame seeds, coriander seeds & sunflower seeds. Drizzle with short, light stream of olive oil & sprinkle with salt & pepper. Heat over medium heat until white sesame seeds and sunflower seeds are toasted and golden in colour. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients & set aside.
- Place arugula, romaine & beets in large salad serving bowl & toss with dressing. Add 3/4 of seed mixture & toss again. Drop bite sized pieces of goat cheese over salad & sprinkle with remaining seed mixture.
- Serve & enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
A can-do tool.