Author Notes: A compilation of a few fave dishes from various restaurants and recipe books. The toasted seeds are reminiscent of a sandwich served at a small bakery in town and the salad is reminiscent of my mother-in-law's beet & blue cheese salad. Delelectable! - thefood
for the salad...
- 4-6 large beets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shelled, roasted & salted pistachios (not the red ones)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (preferably black & white)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds (crushed or whole)
- 1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 cup arugula or baby arugula
- 1-2 cup romaine lettuce, sliced
- 6 ounces soft goat cheese
for the dressing...
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or pistachio oil if you have)
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon packed finely grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice beets into thin, bite sized chunks or pieces (peel on or off, your choice), place into roasting pan & drizzle with 4 TB olive oil. Place pan in oven & roast until beets are tender. Set aside.
- In a large pan, place pistachios, sesame seeds, coriander seeds & sunflower seeds. Drizzle with short, light stream of olive oil & sprinkle with salt & pepper. Heat over medium heat until white sesame seeds and sunflower seeds are toasted and golden in colour. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients & set aside.
- Place arugula, romaine & beets in large salad serving bowl & toss with dressing. Add 3/4 of seed mixture & toss again. Drop bite sized pieces of goat cheese over salad & sprinkle with remaining seed mixture.
- Serve & enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets