If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Do you love chocolate and coffee blended into an icy cold drink as much as I do? if so, you'll love this decadent summertime treat. —WinnieAb
- 1 1/2 cups brewed (strong) coffee, preferably organic and fair trade
- 1 1/2 cups half and half, preferably organic
- 1/2 cup sugar, preferably organic
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (I used Scharffenberger 62% cacao)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- In a small pot on the stove, heat coffee, half and half and sugar and mix with a whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, whisking until it is completely melted.
- Add the sea salt, mix again, then chill the mixture until it is completely cool.
- When it is cool, you have two choices. 1. You can pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and proceed until it has a slushy, not quite frozen consistency (this takes about 20 minutes in my Cuisinart machine).
- Or, you can pour the mixture into ice cube trays, freeze them, and then blend them up at a later date. You can customize your frozen mocha by blending about several cups of the mocha ice cubes with 1 or more cups of organic coffee or milk or half and half (depending on how strong/rich you want your frozen mocha to be). Taste and add additional sugar, 1 Tb. at a time, if necessary. You can also add additional ice cubes if you find it to be too strong.
- Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream, if desired (homemade is always best, but the ready made kind will do in a pinch!) A good quality chocolate syrup can also be drizzled on top, or you can add chocolate shavings or cacao nibs!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.