If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You get home late, nothing is prepared and everyone is complaining about being hungry. This is one of those recipes that in a pinch you can have on the table in no time, and yet, it is delicious. It is very versatile too, just coddle some oysters on top for a quick first course of a casual dinner. A good caraway rye goes very well with this. - thirschfeld
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- pinches fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup comte cheese, grated
- 8 ounces neufatchel
- 20 oz., two boxes, organic frozen spinach, thawed
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Place the spinach onto a clean kitchen towel, do this over the sink, and grab each corner of the towel. Place a hand just at the top of the spinach and twist the towel squeezing out most of the liquid. Don't squeeze it to dry. Turn the oven to broil. Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted add the onions, season them with salt and pepper. Cook the onions until they start to caramelize and become wilted and soft. Add the cream, dijon mustard and nutmeg and stir to dissolve the mustard, reduce cream by half. While the cream is reducing break the neufatchel into pieces. Once the cream is reduced add the neufatchel, comte and spinach and stir until well combined. Taste and season if necessary. Reduce the heat to low and crack the four eggs into the center of the pan. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Let the bottom of the egg just begin to turn white and then place the whole pan in the oven. Cook until the top of the spinach begins to brown and the eggs are just cooked but the yolks still runny.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatloaf