If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a take on that 70's classic: Wilted Spinach Salad -- which to me was a childhood favorite. The original was made with bacon, the onions sauteed in bacon grease and the whole mixture poured, hot and sizzling over the unsuspecting spinach. I have lightened it up a bit by removing the bacon and sauteing red onions in olive oil, then pouring that over the spinach. You could add bacon or pancetta to this as well and I'm sure it would be delicious, and a fried or poached egg over top wouldn't be bad either! —coffeefoodwritergirl
Food52 Review: I tested coffeefoodwritergirl's Wilted Spinach Salad with Balsamic Caramelized Onions. It's a really simple dish with few components, but I really loved how it all came together -- the hit of lemon at the end was a really nice touch. In a word, yum. - lastnightsdinner —The Editors
- 1 small package organic baby spinach
- 1 large red onion – sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons e.v. olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- extra olive oil for drizzling
- juice of ½ small lemon (a little over a tablespoon)
- Wash and dry spinach. Place in large bowl.
- Sauté onions w/ a ¼ teaspoon salt in olive oil until translucent and beginning to caramelize. Add balsamic vinegar and continue to cook until caramelized completely and a nice light toast color.
- While still hot, pour the onions with the oil over the spinach, add the additional ¼ teaspoon salt and the ¼ teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with lemon. Add more olive oil if needed. Toss completely and serve while still warm...
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
Have a ball (jar).