If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Stumped about what to serve when you have low-carb folks to feed? Here is a luxurious low-carb dish that you can proudly serve to everyone at the table. For those not watching their carbs, it's excellent over mashed potatoes. And as an added bonus, it takes under 20 minutes to prepare, start to finish, and contains very few ingredients. Popeye would be proud. - Abra Bennett
Serves 2-4, depending on accompaniments
- 1 large shallot or small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Italian sausages, I prefer hot but sweet are also delicious
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- a few gratings of fresh nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 9 oz packet baby spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat the olive oil and sauté the shallot or onion until it is just translucent. Add the sausages by squeezing them out of their casings. They'll be in large blobs, you'll cut them down to bite-sized as they cook. Sauté the sausages bits, chopping lightly with a spatula to get nice small chunks, until golden brown. Add the oregano, nutmeg, and garlic.
- Over medium-high heat, add the spinach to the sausage. You may need to add it in batches, covering the pan for a minute or so until each batch wilts. Don't add any water since the spinach contains plenty of its own. When all of the spinach is wilted simmer for a minute or two, uncovered, to blend the flavors.
- Add the cream, lower the heat, and simmer until the cream is reduced and forms a sauce that clings to the sausage and spinach. Serve as is to low-carbers, over mashed potatoes to everyone else. I like to add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper but it's entirely optional.
- That's all there is to it! It seems too easy to be true, but I think everyone at your table will thank you for this one, even the kids.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe