Author Notes: I created this dessert as a way to satisfy my ice cream craving at home without an ice cream maker. Semifreddos have the same ingredients as ice cream but the method is a bit different. Air is whipped into the ingredients before freezing resulting in a light airy creamy ice cream without the maker. In this semifreddo melted chocolate is drizzled into the layers so you get splintered bits of chocolate that melt in your mouth once you eat them. - Joanne Chang
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Line 9x5 loaf pan with plastic wrap
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip yolks for 3-4 minutes till light and frothy.
- While yolks are whipping, combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Cook sugar syrup over high heat until it reaches soft ball stage (238 degrees on a candy thermometer).
- With mixer on medium speed drizzle sugar syrup down the side of the bowl. Add cocoa powder and salt and whip for 5-6 minutes until mixture cools and thickens.
- In a separate bowl whip cream until it holds stiff peaks. Fold in orange zest.
- Fold whipped cream into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Spoon about 1/4 of chocolate mixture into the prepared pan. Use a spoon to drizzle about 1/3 of the melted chocolate evenly over the chocolate mixture.
- Carefully spoon another 1/4 of the chocolate mixture into the pan. Drizzle with another 1/3 of the melted chocolate. Repeat another layer of chocolate mixture, the last of the melted chocolate, and finish with the last of the chocolate mixture.
- Cover the pan with plastic and place in freezer for at least 8 hours or up to a week.
- When read to serve remove the semifreddo from pan and peel off plastic. Slice into 8 slices and serve with a little whipped cream and orange supremes.