If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What makes these cookies sassy is a little cinnamon and just a hint of cayenne that tickles the tongue on the finish. They have layers of sweetness from three kinds of sugar and a little honey, which also lends to their chewy texture. These cookies are better when they're made slightly larger, but if you want to make them smaller, shorten the cooking time by a minute or two. - vvvanessa
Serves about 30 cookies
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (3 ounces-weight) honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add in the honey, vanilla, cinnamon, cayenne, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and egg to combine well. Stir in the flour.
- Put the turbinado sugar in a small bowl.
- Scoop the dough into two-tablespoon portions. Roll the dough in the turbinado sugar. Place cookies about 3 inches apart on the baking sheets, leaving a good amount of room for them to spread.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking. They are easy to overcook, going from chewy to crispy in a minute, so keep a close eye and pull them as soon as the edges are just set and get some color on them; the middles will look slighly underdone.
- Allow cookies to rest for a few minutes on the sheets, then remove them to a rack to finish cooling.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chewy Sugar Cookie
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.