If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For this recipe, I've combined elements from several things that I love: raw sea scallops, sushi that my sister and I used to order all the time (spicy salmon and apple) and lime juice. This recipe also completely defies a huge rule of mine: never call for tiny amounts of ingredients. But, here's the thing. Yes, you only need small squeezes of sesame oil and chili sauce, but you really want them to be background flavors so that the scallops can shine. And, in my house, these are all staples (does that count as an excuse?). One last thing, before you buy anything to serve raw, make sure to become best friends with your fishmonger and only buy the freshest scallops he or she can find. —notlazy.rustic.
Serves 2-4 as an appetizer or many more as an hors d'oeuvre
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon chili sauce, like sriracha
- 10 drops toasted sesame oil
- 6 dry large sea scallops, foot removed
- 1 scallion, trimmed, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1/2 firm apple, cored (I used a pink lady)
- 2-3 shakes shichimi togarashi (Asian 7-spice blend), plus more for serving
- 1/2 juicy lime
- In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, chili sauce and sesame oil.
- Cut scallops crosswise into three layers; cube into 1/2" pieces. Peel apple; dice into 1/4" pieces. Add scallops, scallion and apple to mayonnaise mixture; stir, using a rubber spatula, to combine.
- Squeeze lime over scallops. Add the shichimi togarashi and a pinch of kosher salt; stir to combine. Adjust all seasonings, if necessary.
- Transfer decoratively to plate and top with an extra sprinkle of the shichimi togarashi. The scallops can also be served in small spoons, on a very crisp thin cracker or over sliced cucumber. It should be served immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Scallops
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.