If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been thinking about this contest and I can hear my mother saying" What, that was the recipe?...why didn't you submit something like my stuffing, my stuffing is perfect." Her stuffing is perfect, it originates from my grandma Bella's ritz cracker stuffing, which was ritz crackers, butter, carrots, onions celery, My mom and I have adapted it and worked on it for years now, this our best incarnation. We don't stuff, and have started baking this in a spring form pan, so you can cut slices, which is especially nice the day after Thanksgiving, you can cut slices thin enough to put on a turkey sandwich. - Aliwaks
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 or 4 fresh sage leaves chopped fine
- 2 links Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 green apple, peeled , diced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 4 carrots, shredded & drained
- 4 celery stalks, peeled,grated & drained
- 1 large onion, shredded and drained
- 2 sleeves or low salt ritz crackers, smashed to bits
- 2 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup toasted pinenuts
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup turkey/chicken stock (or more)
- Add herbs & cinnamon to butter and melt slowly
- Saute apples, ginger & sausage together until sausage is fully cooked
- whisk eggs together
- In a LARGE bowl, mix cornbread, ritz cracker crumbs, cherries and pine nuts together
- Add carrots, celery, onions, & sausage apple mixture mix it all together well (best to use clean hands, don't bother with utensils)
- Pour in butter and eggs and mix in well
- add stock until the mixture has the texture of meatloaf ( if you like a drier stuffing, add less stock, a wetter one add more)
- Pack well in to a 12" springform pan and bake @ 350 for 1 hour
- let cool slightly before un springing the pan, cut into slices for serving
- Absolutely amazing on a sandwich with fresh turkey, cranberry sauce, mayonnaise & arugula
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls