If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am a true believer that roasting is the best way to create the perfect mouthful of eggplant. More so, baking these Mediterranean vegetables at a very high heat in the oven can transform soggy, dull pieces of jarred artichokes into fresh, crispy marvels. I toss the eggplant and artichokes piping hot with a simple salsa verde--chives, parsley, anchovy paste, lemon juice and capers--and pile them high over a simple filet of fish. You can use any leftover herbs for the salsa, and any sturdy fish as the center-piece. But what really makes these simple Mediterranean flavors come together, and gives the eggplant an extra salty bite, is the anchovy paste in the salsa. - PhoebeLapine
Makes 2 side servings
- 4 Japanese eggplant (1 small regular), cut into ½ inch rounds
- 1 small red onion, quartered and sliced
- 6 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 445 degrees.
- In a large rimmed baking dish, combine the eggplant, onion, and artichoke hearts with a glug of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Toss until fully coated, and then shake the pan to make sure the vegetables lie flat and have the maximum possible surface area exposed. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. With a spatula, redistribute the vegetables so they brown on the opposite side, and return to the oven for another 10-20 minutes, until the vegetables are dark brown and caramelized.
- In the meantime, combine the capers, herbs, anchovy paste, lemon juice, oil and salt in a small bowl and whisk until fully incorporated.
- When the vegetables have finished roasting, toss them together with the salsa verde.
- To serve, top a centerpiece protein (I recommend a fish fillet) with the eggplant mixture, or arrange on a side platter, and garnish with some chopped chives.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Eggplant Recipe
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce