If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lángos is Hungarian deep fried potato dough pizza. This is my (slightly) lighter version, based on traditional lángos recipes and methods - minus the lard. It's topped with my own sweet & spicy fig spread. - TastyTrix
For the Lángos Dough (makes 4 dough balls)
- 1.5 cups potato. boiled, peeled, mashed & cooled
- 2.5 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups AP flour
- 1 tablespoon veggie oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola/olive oil blend, for frying
- Warm the milk to about 100 degrees F & mix with the yeast & sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the potatoes with the flour, salt, and oil.
- Add the starter and knead for 10 minutes.
- Place in a bowl and cover; let rise one hour.
- Punch down the dough, divide into 4 equal portions and form them into uniform balls.
- Let them rest for 20 minutes, covered, and on a floured surface.
- In a skillet, heat about 1" of oil at 350 degrees F; I used a canola/olive oil blend (make sure of your oil's smoke point before frying). Rather than roll out the dough, you want to pick it up and gently pull it out into a circular shape
- Next, gently lay the dough in the hot oil, and press the middle down with a spatula. This is important to ensure that the middle cooks properly.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove and drain on a rack lined with paper towels.
For the Sweet & Spicy Fig Spread (makes enough for one lángos)
- 8 preserved mission figs
- 1 glug of walnut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground java pepper
- 4 pinches of freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch of cardamom
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 "poof" of confectioner's sugar
- Simply combine all the ingredients except for the powdered sugar and adjust to taste. Spread over the lángos dough and finish with the confectioner's sugar.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pizza
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.