If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This simple, but delicious recipe has been passed down through many generations. I got it from my grandmother, who is from Ukraine, and make it every time I have a BBQ. Everyone always loves it! - MamaLlama
- 8 large baking potatoes, preferably Russets/Idaho
- 1 large onion
- 4 cucumbers
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 3/4 cup Hellman's regular mayonnaise
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Boil until soft (approx. 10 min after water starts to boil).
- Drain potatoes in a colander and then set aside in a bowl.
- Peel and thinly slice the 4 cucumbers and put in separate bowl. Add the 4 tbsp salt to it, making sure it is evenly spread over slices.
- Allow cucumbers to sit for 15 min, then transfer to a colander and rinse well under water to let excess salt drain out.
- Mash and squeeze (by hand) the cucumbers until all the water is drained out as much as possible.
- Place the cucumbers into a large bowl and add the potatoes to it.
- Dice the onion into very small pieces and add to cucumbers and potatoes.
- Scoop 3/4 cup of mayonnaise (more or less to your taste) and add to the bowl of potatoes, cucumbers, and onions.
- Stir all ingredients together with a wooden spoon. Serve and enjoy that comforting old world taste! (You can also refrigerate before serving – tastes great cold too!)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Salad