Author Notes: I was sick of romaine and iceberg! I wanted a salad that was hearty enough to survive the commute to work, full of iron and nutrition so that I didn't have to boil broccoli as often, and easy to prepare and be versatile! I stumbled upon a discounted back of calvo nero kale at the store and thought, "Hmm, what's this?" A quick search found that I could steam it -- and it's been a favorite ever since. - aaraney
Makes 2-3 salads (per bag of kale)
- 1 packet calvo nero kale
- 1 cup water
- Wash kale thoroughly, cut kale into large pieces -- no smaller than 1 square inch each.
- Fill a pan with 1 cup of water (just about an inch from the bottom) and place a steamer basked into the pan, bring water to a boil.
- Place kale into steamer basket, cover and steam for 2-4 minutes -- kale will be a bright, shiny dark green/black color. .
- Remove Kale from steamer basket, place in a bowl and allow to cool. Then, place in sealable containers (big enough for one salad) and place in refrigerator
- When ready for a salad -- open a container -- add your choice of ingredients. Tomatoes, pine nuts, shaved carrots, raisins.
- In a small container, pour 2 tsp of olive oil, 2 tsp balsalmic vinegar. Shake and pour onto salad when ready. Shake salad in container to evenly distribute dressing!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Way to Cook Greens