If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Balsamic vinegar is good friends with buffalo mozzarella. The tanginess of the vinegar is a nice complement to the subtlety of the cheese. Because this recipe is a little bit sweet and a little bit savory it can be served as a appetizer or dessert. Make sure the plums are ripe but firm enough to hold their shape when heated. You can substitute peaches or fresh figs if you don't like the tartness of plums. But I find that it lends a crisp balance to the dish. I have also been known to pile it on top of crostini and serve as a bruschetta. Yum! - Brita - Brita
Food52 Review: Brita has a way with flavors -- she understands that the sweet-tartness of plums will cut the cloyingness of balsamic and that both together are just what a rich ball of buffalo mozzarella needs. This is mostly an assembly dish -- is there any better kind of dish for summer cooking? -- once the balsamic is reduced and the plums glazed, all you do is layer the mozzarella with the fruit, syrup, pine nuts and a few flickers of mint. Want to start your next dinner party off with a bang? Now you know how. - A&M - The Editors
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 large ball buffalo mozzarella, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 4 ripe plums, pitted and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 splash olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put vinegar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Adjust heat to low and simmer until it is reduced nearly three-quarters in volume and thickened to a syrup. About 15 minutes.
- Add plums to syrup turning gently to coat and continue to cook for another 4-7 minutes more. Turn off heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile assemble mozzarella slices on platter, allowing to overlap slightly and season with salt and pepper to taste. WIth a fork, remove plums from syrup and place atop cheese, then top with the remaining syrup, pine nuts and mint. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
- Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella Contest Winner!
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.