If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There's nothing much better than fried mozzarella with something sweet drizzled ontop. The smoky saltiness of the mozzarella plays off the sweetness of the figs beautifully. Warming the figs softens their texture and reconstitutes their freshness. The flaxseed and walnuts add crunch to the smoothness of the cheese and fruit. The flaky phyllo layers are crispy on the outside and pop when pierced with a fork. Then the gooey melted mozzarella oozes out. With each bite, you get a forkful of melted mozzarella, sweetened figs and crispy pastry. —Garden Gate Kate
- 6 organic phyllo dough sheets, thawed
- 6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, at room temperature, cut into 6 sticks of equal size
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces dried figs, stemmed and quartered
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Unfold the phyllo sheets and place on a dry work surface with a slightly damp towel on top to keep them from drying out. Take out 1 sheet of phyllo and place it verically on a work surface, with a short edge toward you. Place 1 piece of mozzarella near the bottom of the sheet. Fold the end up loosely over the cheese, then fold the in the sides. Keep folding until you have a tidy package about 3 1/2 by 4 inches. Make 5 more packets with the remaining cheese and phyllo.
- In a large skillet, heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Sauté 3 phyllo-wrapped mozzarella pastries at a time, until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- While pastries saute, combine figs and honey in a small saucepan. Cook on low heat until the honey is warm.
- Place 1 mozzarella pastry on each plate. Spoon softened figs onto each pastry and drizzle warm honey over each serving. Sprinkle with flaxseeds and walnuts and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
The craziest chip around.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.