If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Queen of Siam is a variety of Thai Basil but any Thai basil will do. I think of this as street food in a way or comfort food, maybe Thai Spaghettios. A cup of this with Thai Fried Chicken or Satay would set you straight. You can also add just about any vegetables you want, most notably eggplant. Don't forgo the toasting of the orzo it would make it a different dish altogether. - thirschfeld
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, julienned
- 4 stalks of lemongrass, 4 inches long and tied in a not
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 4 teaspoons red curry paste, add more if you want it hotter
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 to 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup Thai basil, larger leaves torn in half
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced thin
- limes as needed
- Place a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and when it begins to shimmer add the shallots.
- Once they start to color add the orzo and cook it till it starts to become brown and toast. Add the garlic, curry paste and lemongrass. Stir a few times until fragrant and then add the fish sauce and the stock.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and add the coconut milk and cook it until the pasta is tender. If you need more liquid add it. The dish should not be dry but it shouldn't be to soupy either so adjust accordingly. Remove the lemongrass stalks.
- Add half the green onions, tomatoes and basil. Stir and cook until the basil is wilted, about a minute. Serve immediately with limes for squeezing over the top and green onions for garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.