Author Notes: This interesting blend of ingredients turns out the most WONDERFUL robust Italian meal. It has been awhile since I've made this dish, so I don't have a picture, but it is a beautiful presentation and a family favorite. - katiebakes - katiebakes
Food52 Review: This is a fabulous, if complicated, recipe. The potatoes and fennel roast to a pleasing soft center and crisp edges (Note: next time I would leave the fennel in larger pieces). I used chopped up fennel fronds instead of parsley as a garnish, which kept the fennel at the forefront. The tomato sauce is delicious with hints of both oregano and fennel. The oregano-garlic sauce was also delicious (and would make a great salad dressing). - drbabs - A&M
Italian Swordfish with Roasted Fennel and Potatoes
- 6 cups peeled red potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices (about 2 pounds)
- 4 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 2 small bulbs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cups dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 swordfish steaks (about 1-inch thick)
- Oregano-Garlic Sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- dashes of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine potatoes, sliced fennel, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; toss gently to coat. Bake at 450 for 50 minutes, or until potatoes are roasted and tender.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet. Add fennel seeds and garlic; saute for 1 minute. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, wine, 4 tablespoons parsley, orange rind, oregano, and diced tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Sprinkle fish fillets with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add fish to pan and cook for 3 minutes. Turn and cook until golden brown and just done, 2 to 4 minutes longer.
- Arrange cooked fish fillets on top of potatoes and fennel, top with tomato sauce, and broil about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Garnish fish with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve with Oregano-Garlic Sauce.
- As close to serving as possible, make the Oregano-Garlic Sauce by combining lemon juice and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a wire whisk. Drizzle over fish.