Author Notes: It's a Japanese chicken 'n egg recipe, called "parent and child" (OYAKO). I learned it from my husband who is Japanese. - Francesca
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 onion
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Mirin (sweet cooking sake)
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite-size pieces.
- Peel the onion and slice it thinly.
- Beat the 3 eggs in a bowl.
- Combine chicken stock, sake, sugar, Mirin and soy sauce in another bowl.
- Pour half of the chicken stock mixture in a small pan and bring to boil.
- Add half of the chicken pieces and half of the onion slices and simmer until chicken pieces are cooked (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add half of the egg mixture to the pan, cover and simmer for abut 40 seconds, till the eggs are cooked but still soft.
- Put half of the cooked rice in a bowl (like a cereal bowl) and top it with the chicken and egg mixture.
- Repeat the same process for the other portion.