If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An old Sephardic recipe, my 'Noni' would make this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner-it is delish hot or cold. A perfect combination of spinach, feta, and eggs, it really couldn't be any easier. It's fantastic with fresh spinach but, in a pinch, a few bags of the frozen stuff work too. For a change of pace, try it with chard leaves, beet greens, or a combination of greens. However you spin it, this quick and simple recipe should become a new staple in your kitchen. Shouldn't we all be eating more greens anyways? —cookingteach
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese, preferably sheep's milk
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- course salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds baby spinach, washed and dried (or 2 10oz pkgs frozen spinach, defrosted and drained)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Add the oil to a 9 inch square baking dish and warm it in the oven as it is preheating. It should be hot but not smoking.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, feta, and all but 2 tablespoons of the Parmigiano, mixing well to combine. Add a pinch of salt and a generous pinch of pepper.
- Fold in the spinach, mixing well to coat it with the egg mixture.
- Carefully transfer the spinach mixture to the heated pan, pressing it gently to compress it into the pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake the quashado until golden on top and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. If using fresh spinach, gently press the top of the quashado once or twice while cooking to help wilt down the greens.
- Cut into squares and serve warm or room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Way to Cook Greens
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
The freedom to snack.