Author Notes: I love to grow tomatoes, especially heirlooms, and have 26 varieties this year. There is nothing prettier than a multi-colored display of fresh tomatoes & this recipe brings the effect into a modified Caprese salad. - Hoen
Serves 6 - 8
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella balls (Bocconcini), drained
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 4 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes in a variety of colors (examples – Sungold, Sweet Million,
- salt and pepper, to taste
- - In a medium saucepan, combine red quinoa, broth and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover & cook 10 – 15 minutes until all broth is absorbed. Cool and set aside.
- - In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- - In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, dressing, mozzarella cheese balls, basil and heirloom cherry tomatoes. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
Tags: travels well