If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe I made to complement incredibly beautiful and delicious heirloom tomatoes. May be made either for Vegan or Vegetarian style. Simple, fresh, and delicious. —Two Moms Catering
Tomato pasta stuffing
- 1 pound thin soy pasta or whole wheat pasta
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 zuccini
- 4 ounces roasted marinated tofu or feta cheese
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 pinches salt and pepper to taste
Tomatoes and Garnish
- 8 Heirloom tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cook pasta as directed - Do NOT over cook (al dente) drain and set aside.
- Rinse tomatoes, remove the core cut into 8 even wedges, cutting 3/4 way down the tomato. Carefully remove and save the insides, and set aside.
- In a saute pan add diced onions and garlic. Saute until lightly caramelized.
- Add zucchini and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Then add tomatoes hearts and seeds continue to saute for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add pasta to sauce and toss. Allow to cool.
- In a small sautee pan, heat ollive oil and allow oil to get hot but do not allow it to smoke. Carefully with tongs or a slotted metal spoon drop in a fresh basil leaf. Be CAREFUL for spattering. Remove leaves quickly - they should be crispy but not burned. Do one leaf at a time. Carefully remove and lay on paper towel to drain any excess oil. 3-4 leaves per tomato, or as desired for flavor.
- Take the pasta and add either roasted tofu (vegan) or feta cheese and toss then fill the tomatoes with the pasta.
- Use any remaining pasta as a bed underneath the stuffed tomatoes. Season to taste and add the basil garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
Food Blog Links We Love
Perfect picnic fare
Food blog links we love.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.