Author Notes: This is a recipe I made to complement incredibly beautiful and delicious heirloom tomatoes. May be made either for Vegan or Vegetarian style. Simple, fresh, and delicious. - Two Moms Catering
Tomato pasta stuffing
- 1 pound thin soy pasta or whole wheat pasta
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 zuccini
- 4 ounces roasted marinated tofu or feta cheese
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 pinches salt and pepper to taste
Tomatoes and Garnish
- 8 Heirloom tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cook pasta as directed - Do NOT over cook (al dente) drain and set aside.
- Rinse tomatoes, remove the core cut into 8 even wedges, cutting 3/4 way down the tomato. Carefully remove and save the insides, and set aside.
- In a saute pan add diced onions and garlic. Saute until lightly caramelized.
- Add zucchini and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Then add tomatoes hearts and seeds continue to saute for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add pasta to sauce and toss. Allow to cool.
- In a small sautee pan, heat ollive oil and allow oil to get hot but do not allow it to smoke. Carefully with tongs or a slotted metal spoon drop in a fresh basil leaf. Be CAREFUL for spattering. Remove leaves quickly - they should be crispy but not burned. Do one leaf at a time. Carefully remove and lay on paper towel to drain any excess oil. 3-4 leaves per tomato, or as desired for flavor.
- Take the pasta and add either roasted tofu (vegan) or feta cheese and toss then fill the tomatoes with the pasta.
- Use any remaining pasta as a bed underneath the stuffed tomatoes. Season to taste and add the basil garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes