If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: al-BON-digas: spanish meatballs. Fragrant, slightly spicy. Love them. - aargersi —aargersi
Food52 Review: I found this recipe to very good and inspiring—I love the idea of wrapping the meatball around a bite of flavored rice! Simmering the meatballs in the broth helps keep them moist, and the broth itself has a simple, nice flavor. While we love spicy foods, I felt that the heat of the chipotle peppers somewhat hid the flavors of the other spices and would use less next time. Depending on what you are serving the meatballs with, you might want to double the recipe, they are good! - katyskitchen —The Editors
Serves 9 meatballs
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 lime
- 1/3 cup cilantro - chopped
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg - whisked
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes
- avocado and cilantro for garnish
- olive oil for frying
- RICE - Cook the rice according to the directions - when it is done stir in the juice from the lime as well as the cilantro, and set it aside to cool.
- BROTH - Soften the chipotle pepper in the white wine - I do this by putting them in a pyrex measuring cup and nuking them for a minute. Get the broth and tomatoes simmering. Seed the chipotle and chop it up, add it to the broth. Add the wine too - if seeds have escaped into the wine strain them out. Let that simmer on low all the while.
- MEATBALLS - Mix together the pork and beef, spices, egg and corn flour. To form the meatballs - grab a small handfull of meat. Flatten it into a disk in your hand, then put a spoonfull of rice in the center of the disk. Close your hand so the meat encloses the rice then roll it into a ball. I got 9 meatballs. You are going to have leftover rice.
- Heat the olive oil to med-high in a very large skillet. When it's hot, add the meatballs - do not crowd them. You want them nice and brown on all sides (I know a sphere doesn't have sides - but you know what I mean - roll them around)
- When the meatballs are all browned, add them to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes or so, don't boil the heck out of them just simmer. You're done!
- Serve each bowl with meatballs and broth, and add a slice of avocado and some fresh cilantro ...
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
A can-do tool.