If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Greens are really in season right now and I never can decide whether to cook them Italian or Indian-style. This recipe is great because it is a subtle, healthy and hearty Indian dish. I really crave it and love it topped with whole milk yogurt-- so good! —Goldilocks
- 1 pound cooked potatoes (preferably steamed)
- 1 bunch fresh greens such as kale, mustard, collard, beet or turnip greens even spinach works!
- 4 tablespoons ghee (I did a mixture of butter and olive oil)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 fresh tomatoes diced or 1 -15 once can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt to taste
- Scrub potatoes and steam them in their skins until almost, but not quite, done (about 30 minutes).
- Leave to cool, skin them and then cut into small cubes. Meanwhile remove the coarse stalks from the greens then rinse and chop coarsely.
- Mince the garlic and ginger, measure the spices out into a little bowl and slice onion.
- Heat oil in sauce pan brown the cumin seeds until they turn fragrant add onions sauté for 5 minutes add tomatoes until they "melt", then add garlic and ginger. Add the spices, and a little water if necessary.
- Cook for a few minutes, then add greens & a 1/2 cup of water bring to boil reduce heat, add the potatoes and mix well then cover and simmer gently until ready, stirring once or twice to prevent sticking about 10 minutes.
- It's done whenever the greens are cooked to your liking and soft.
- This is fantastic served with basmati rice and whole milk yogurt!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Way to Cook Greens
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.