If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love meatballs - Italian style or otherwise - and this recipe came from looking for an alternative that took advantage of my favorite springtime veggies - as well as finding a way to make greek meatballs in a healthy dish. —Robert McDiarmid
Serves 8 meatballs - two to four people depending appetite
- 1/2 pound ground dark meat ground turkey
- 1/4 pound ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 stalks extremely fine-diced celery
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin, oregano, and paprika
- 3 tablespoons panko style bread crumbs
- season with salt to taste
- the zest and juice of two lemons
- 1/2 an english cucumber finely diced
- 1 tablespoon mint, parsley, cilantro and dill
- 4 tomatoes - cut into bite size chunks (eights?)
- 2 stalks of finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- Mix all the Kofta ingredients together in a bowl - cover - and refridgerate while we make the Quinoa Salad
- I make a cup of scarlet quinoa (add 1 cup of dry scarlet quinoa grain to 1 1/4 cup boiling chicken stock) stir in the quinoa - and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes - take off heat and leave covered for 5 minutes - then fluff with a fork. and set aside to cool.
- Mix all the diced vegetables together and the olive oil, salting and peppering to taste.
- I put the BBQ on high heat. Make kafta meatballs with a tablespoon - and then roll your meat balls in olive oil, fresh ground pepper, sesame seed and a little ground sea salt. these will grill very fast on the grille - literally - as you finish setting your meatballs down - immediately start turning them from where you started. MAX 1 minute on each side - then put them on a lightly oiled baking pan - and into the oven for five minutes at 350.
- Mix the veggies and quinoa together. Add the quinoa a little at a time or it is liable to clump up. (not pretty)
- Plate the still sizzling koftas fresh out of the oven on a bed of the scarlet quinoa salad - and garnish with the yogurt/coriander/lemon sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
DIY Nutter Butters.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
Just shrub it off.