Author Notes: I love meatballs - Italian style or otherwise - and this recipe came from looking for an alternative that took advantage of my favorite springtime veggies - as well as finding a way to make greek meatballs in a healthy dish. - Robert McDiarmid
Serves 8 meatballs - two to four people depending appetite
- 1/2 pound ground dark meat ground turkey
- 1/4 pound ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 stalks extremely fine-diced celery
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin, oregano, and paprika
- 3 tablespoons panko style bread crumbs
- season with salt to taste
- the zest and juice of two lemons
- 1/2 an english cucumber finely diced
- 1 tablespoon mint, parsley, cilantro and dill
- 4 tomatoes - cut into bite size chunks (eights?)
- 2 stalks of finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- Mix all the Kofta ingredients together in a bowl - cover - and refridgerate while we make the Quinoa Salad
- I make a cup of scarlet quinoa (add 1 cup of dry scarlet quinoa grain to 1 1/4 cup boiling chicken stock) stir in the quinoa - and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes - take off heat and leave covered for 5 minutes - then fluff with a fork. and set aside to cool.
- Mix all the diced vegetables together and the olive oil, salting and peppering to taste.
- I put the BBQ on high heat. Make kafta meatballs with a tablespoon - and then roll your meat balls in olive oil, fresh ground pepper, sesame seed and a little ground sea salt. these will grill very fast on the grille - literally - as you finish setting your meatballs down - immediately start turning them from where you started. MAX 1 minute on each side - then put them on a lightly oiled baking pan - and into the oven for five minutes at 350.
- Mix the veggies and quinoa together. Add the quinoa a little at a time or it is liable to clump up. (not pretty)
- Plate the still sizzling koftas fresh out of the oven on a bed of the scarlet quinoa salad - and garnish with the yogurt/coriander/lemon sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs