If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I once saw a recipe that involved leftover rice crisped in a cast-iron pan and topped with a fried egg. Of course, faced with a cup of day old rice and dinnertime, I couldn't find the recipe anywhere. My riff came out pretty darn good though. - linzarella
Rice cake with fried egg and lime-ginger creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon ghee or other fat
- enough leftover white rice to cover the bottom of your cast iron pan in a 1/3" layer. Short or long grain are both fine.
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch furikake or toasted sesame seeds
- Melt the ghee in a small cast iron pan over medium heat. When hot, add the rice and pat it down with a wooden spoon so it spreads out to cover the bottom of the pan.
- While the rice is browning, bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and add the watercress. Cook for 30-60 seconds, then drain.
- Make the sauce: juice the lime into a jar, add the ginger syrup, soy sauce creme fraiche, and chopped chives, and stir.
- With a spatula, carefully lift up the edge of the rice. It should be browning nicely. If not, turn up the heat a bit and check in a few minutes. If it is, carefully flip it over. Make a welt in the middle of the rice, and crack an egg into the center. Sprinkle the egg and rice with salt, and cover until the white of the egg is no longer translucent.
- When the egg is cooked, slide the rice cake onto a plate, top with the watercress, drizzle with the creme fraiche sauce, and sprinkle with furikake.
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 piece ginger, 2"-4" depending on how spicy you want the sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Chop ginger finely, combine with water and sugar, bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes uncovered, then cover and let steep another 10-15. Strain, and save the chopped ginger for homemade ginger candy!
We'd like to Propose a Toast
This strudel's a lemon-ginger curd dream.
Toaster Strudel gets an upgrade.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Cook like an Egyptian.
We loaf this lunch.
This is poppin'.