If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my own grain salad recipe that combines vegetables, cheese, and hearty barley for a healthy lunch. - katiebakes —katiebakes
Food52 Review: Since first noticing the recipe, I've made three versions of it, using what I had on hand at the time. I've served it to three different sets of people and shared a spoonful of it with a couple of co-workers, and I had to e-mail the link to this recipe to all of them. We all love the chewy, crunchy and soft textures and the salty, sour heat. And because it's more nutritious, refreshing and exciting than pasta salad, this is what we'll be bringing to picnics and backyard potlucks this summer. Once, I was out of cucumber, so I substituted sliced celery; I've added chopped Roma tomatoes instead of cherry (I prefer the natural sweetness that cherry tomatoes add, however); and I never have champagne vinegar, so I use white wine vinegar in its place. - betteirene —betteirene
- 1 cup hulled barley
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup finely diced seeded cucumber
- 1/3 cup lightly packed finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup diced fresh mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon high-quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add barley, cover and simmer 40 minutes. Remove lid and continue simmering 15 minutes longer, or until barley is soft but still chewy. Drain, rinse, and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine barley, jalapeno, and next 5 ingredients.
- Whisk together olive oil and remaining ingredients and add to barley mixture, stirring well to combine.
- Serve immediately or chilled.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.