If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Okay, yes, this recipe might have taken some inspiration from the classic episode of "The Brady Bunch" in which Peter Brady, channeling Humphrey Bogart, can't stop saying "pork chops and applesauce."
Here, though, the applesauce is a chunky topping that evokes the flavors of seasoned autumn apples. You can peel or not peel your apples. Either way, the dish is a lip-smacking, sweet-savory combination that you shouldn't wait for fall to roll around to make. —vvvanessa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pork chops, cut of your choice
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons small white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small, firm, tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small, firm, sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp or Braeburn, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/16 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 piece of star anise
- 2 thin slices of peeled, fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Sprinkle the pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides. Depending on the thickness of your chops, cook them on both sides until they are cooked through, about 4-6 minutes per side for medium-thick chops. Remove them from the pan and set them aside to rest.
- In the same pan, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté until softened and browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the apples, spices, ginger, a pinch of salt, and a grind of pepper, and continue to sauté until the apples begin to soften but still have a little bite, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and toss lightly.
- Remove the star anise and ginger slices. Serve the sautéed apples on top of the pork chops.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.