Author Notes: I love the bright green and red colors of this appetizer. It looks gorgeous in the middle of a table. The cauliflowers at the farmers' market are a stunning display of bright colors...orange, green and purple. Here I have dressed up a plain white one so that it holds its own for gaudiness and especially for taste! - dymnyno
Serves a small gathering
- 1 white cauliflower
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (preferably homemade, but Best Foods/Hellmans if not)
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 1/2 cup shelled and roasted pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- s & p
- Freeze the cranberries...it will make them easier to process into small pieces in a food processer. Otherwise they will be gummy. When firm enough, process them until they are tiny bits.
- Process the pistachios into little bits.
- Trim the bottom of the cauliflower so that it sits flat. You can carefully remove the head from the leaves so that they remain a "bowl" of leaves.
- In a large pot, steam the cauliflower head until very tender...about 10 to 15 minutes. Cool.
- Mix 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 1 tbs of curry powder .
- "Frost" the cauliflower head completely with the mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle the cauliflower head with the pistachio nuts and then with the cranberry bits pressing to firmly stick them into the mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Place the head back into the bowl of cauliflower leaves.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Serve with a baguette or crackers. Use a small spoon to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cauliflower Recipe