If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love to bake galettes-and-tarts! What's not to love about an inviting savory or sweet tart beckoning companionship with you and a loved one? How about an airy puffed pastry holding a melting pot of savory and sweet ingredients? Well, I don’t know about you but I just can't resist galettes and tarts! The challenge to bake with a late winter vegetable or fruit was such a playground of flavorful fun! In my research, I found that cauliflower is actually at it’s flavor peak in late winter! I decided to couple cauliflower with dried cranberries, bacon and smoked paprika, and oh-my-gosh my taste buds were tantalized! I am a sucker for toppings so blending orange marmalade and mascarpone cheese with a touch of mustard was a must! Friends raved when they took a bite of my scrumptious galette while I smile! Variations: You can replace cranberries with raisins or even exchange sweet smoked paprika with curry! Feel free to apple or cranberry juice instead of wine! This is one dish that will call your name again and again! —Merry
- 1 frozen pastry sheet (about 9 ounces)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small cauliflower, cut in 1-inch florets (4-5 cups)
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1 cup Shitake mushrooms, cut in 1/4-inch slivers
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Riesling or sweet white wine
- 4 slices fully cooked crisp bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Mandhego cheese or a smoky white cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet, set aside.
- Mix water, salt, and cauliflower florets in a microwave safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Leave covered to steam for two minutes or so and drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix Mascarpone cheese, marmalade, and honey mustard. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a large frying pan, over medium-high, heat olive oil until warm, add shallots, mushrooms, sugar, and lemon pepper; saute and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add cranberries, paprika, vinegar, stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Add Riesling and steamed cauliflower; stir and cook for 2 minutes or until wine has absorbed.
- Unfold pastry dough, in a 9” x 10” rectangle, on the center of the lined cookie sheet. Spoon the sauteed mixture on the center of dough, leaving about 1.5-inch outer edge. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Bake in oven 22-25 minutes or until puffed pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes. Top with basil and serve with dollops of Marmalade-Mustard Mascarpone sprinkled with chives. This is a lovely dish served warm or at room temperature!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cauliflower Recipe
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
The best donuts—ever.
We've got the summer blues.
How we do a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.