Author Notes: This recipe was created spontaneously when I "cleaned" out my overflowing vegetable and refrigerator bins. I had half a butternut squash, a few baby red potatoes, and a half bag of green beans - and voila! But the shallot dressing is what really makes this impromptu side so yummy. - Bevi
Serves 4 portions
- 1/2 Butternut squash, cut in 2-inch chunks
- 12 Baby new potatoes, cut to make 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces
- a big handful Green beans, left whole but with the tips removed
- Olive oil as needed
- 1 bulb Shallot, minced, to make about 1 heaping TBLS.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Sea Salt and Pepper as needed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place prepared vegetables on a roasting sheet pan in one layer. Jouge with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Put in the lower third of your oven.
- In the meantime, saute the minced shallot in a little bit of olive oil until translucent.
- Emulsify the lemon juice with about 1/4 cup olive oil. Then, add in the shallots and mix thoroughly.
- Remember to keep your eye on the vegetables, turning with a metal spatula as needed.
- Test your vegetables for doneness - I like the squash and potatoes to be slightly caramelized, and the beans to be well roasted. This takes around 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Pour the shallot dressing over the veggies, and mix well. If necessary, season with salt and pepper according to your preference. Place in a serving bowl.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash