If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The pumpkin patch is in full swing and a week of rain and fog makes for perfect soup weather. I've made this soup with butternut, acorn and kabocha squash and all are delicious. The butternut is the sweetest and the kabocha the richest. - edamame2003
Red Curry Paste (I make my own, or you can use the Mae Sri brand)
- 15 dried red chilies (chili de arbol)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/8 cup lemon grass (juiced)
- 1/8 cup shallots
- 1/8 cup galangal, juiced
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kaffir lime leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Toast the chilies until they darken in color and blister (about 1-2 minutes) turning them.
- Let the chilis cool and cut them open and dump out the seeds. Soak the toasted peppers in hot water for about one hour and strain. (you can use a cheesecloth or wire strainer).
- Toast the coriander seed, cumin and cardamom in a pan.
- You can grind the ingredients above in a spice or clean coffee grinder or smash in a mortar.
- Add all the ingredients to the mortar and mix together, adding a little bit of water at a time if the paste is too dry.
Squash Curry Soup
- 3 cups squash (butternut, acorn or kabocha)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/8 cup shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lemon grass stalks, juiced
- 2 inches of ginger, juiced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 3 cups water
- 13 ounces can coconut milk (I use Chao Koh)
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Cut the squash in half, clean out the seeds and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, with about 1 tablespoon of butter in each half.
- In a pot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter, brown the garlic, onion and shallots.
- Add the curry paste, ginger and lemon grass juice. Heat for about a minute.
- Add carrots and 1 cup of water.
- Scoop out 3 cups of squash and add to the pot, along with 2 cups of water.
- Let simmer for about a half hour until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the palm sugar and salt and let dissolve.
- Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to smooth out the soup (or pour into a blender)
- Add lime juice and stir.
- Garnish with black pepper and cilantro.
- Serve with a toasted piece of whole grain bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!