Author Notes: I was looking for a way to use up a few leftover fall vegetables after a weekend of cooking and came up with this fall vegetable-leftover salad - VanessaS
- 3 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buttnernut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 bulb fennel, cut into quarters and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss butternut squash and fennel, each in separate bowls, with 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast on separate parchment lined baking sheets; 30 minutes for squash and 40 minutes for fennel, or until browned. Place in large bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat in small pot. Add farro and thyme, stirring occasionally until almost translucent, about 5 minutes. Add water and bring to boil. Reduct to low simmer, cover, and continue to cook until liquid is absorbed, about twenty minutes.
- While farro is cooking, whisk together remaining olive oil, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, and sage. Set aside.
- Combine cooked farro, squash, fennel, and cranberries. Toss with vinaigrette, serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash