Author Notes: My friend Cindy gave me this recipe for her mom's yams/sweet potatoes. They're the bomb! I love sweet potatoes on their own but dolled up like this? Irresistible. Giving the yams/sweet potatoes a long, slow simmer in the salted butter-brown sugar-maple syrup concoction changes everything -- they're tender, buttery-smooth and surprisingly, not too sweet. Try to find tubers that are relatively straight to make the initial quartering easier. - CottageGourmet
- 6-8 sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/4 pound salted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Peel the sweet potatoes or yams and cut them, lengthwise, into quarters. Boil for 12-15 minutes in salted water.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan and stir in the brown sugar and maple syrup. Put the yams/sweet potatoes into the pan, cover and cook for 45 minutes to an hour over low heat.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side