Author Notes: While watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen, we used our rewind button a few times to figure out the ingredients of this recipe for aligot, otherwise known as French mashed potatoes. Creamy, cheesy, and decadent, these are hardly your average side dish! - ChrisandAmy
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- water to cover potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in 1/2-inch slices. Place them in a large pot with a tablespoon of salt.
- Add water to cover the potatoes over an inch. Bring to a boil and cook for fifteen minutes. Drain the water.
- Put the potatoes in a food processor with the minced garlic, salt to taste and the butter.
- Pulse a few times, add the milk, and pulse until smooth.
- Return the mixture to your pot and turn heat to medium. Slowly add the cheeses, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon while doing so, over a period of 3-5 minutes, until stretchy consistency is reached.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side