If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is nice, quick and pretty side dish that balances the heavier and roasty flavors of a Thanksgiving quite well. - Jennifer Ann - Jennifer Ann
Food52 Review: Steamed broccoli spears are coated in a flavorful, ginger-infused sauce that is quick and fairly easy to assemble. I wasn't quite sure how to extract the ginger juice, but it was pretty easy. Using a microplane grater, I grated up three inches of fresh ginger and then transferred the grated root into a large tea ball. Simply pressing down with my thumbs sent the bright yellow juices pouring freely through the bottom of the strainer. I added a teaspoon of sesame oil along with the salt and pepper, to complement the ginger, and for added flavor. My husband, who normally isn't a big fan of cooked vegetables, enjoyed this dish very much, he ate several servings—so thank you Jennifer Ann! - AppleAnnie
Serves 6 - 8
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon + 1 tsp of juice squeezed from freshly grated ginger root
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt, more to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- Trim broccoli into long thin spears; steam until crisp tender.
- While the broccoli is steaming,whisk together chicken stock, ginger juice, and corn starch; season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat; add shallots and cook until tender; stir in chicken stock mixture and simmer until the sauce just thickens enough to be suitably clingy to the steamed broccoli.
- Toss broccoli with the sauce, being sure to include as much of the shallot bits as possible (you may have some sauce left over); transfer to your favorite bowl or platter.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls