If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As a special treat some time when we have Chinese we get duck pancakes, and when i saw a duck on special offer i had to make crispy duck and Pancakes. The restaurant i work at has a crispy duck starter and i have lost count how many ducks i have roasted off, however this was the first time i have made pancakes for the duck. This is a really simply recipe, ideal for parties or to impress. It can be kept for a lengthy period of time so is an ideal dish to prep before. The sauce can be made days in advanced, this allows the sauce to mature and strengthen in flavor. However the sauce still tastes nice, made on the day. —grantacus
Pancakes & Duck
- 1 Duck
- Salt & Pepper
- Chinese 5 Spice (Optional)
- 0.33 pounds Plain Flour
- 125 milliliters Boiling Water
- 1 pinch Salt
- 6 Spring Onion Finely Sliced
- 1/2 Cucumber Finely Sliced
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Seed Oil
- 1 teaspoon Finely Spiced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Finely Spiced Ginger
- 3 tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 4 tablespoons Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 Lemon Grass
- Heat the sesame oil in the pan on a low heat and add the garlic, cook until golden brown, add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce. Stir well and cook on low heat for ten minutes, leave to cool then pass through sieve. Refrigerate sauce.
- Place duck in baking tin (check for liver and tongue inside the duck, if found remove). Rub the skin with Salt, Pepper and Chinese 5 Spice seasoning.
- Depending on size of duck, cook on 200 degrees Celsius for 2 hours, until golden and crispy. If you have a temperature probe make sure the legs and breast are over 78 degrees Celsius.
- Leave to slightly cool, then shred.
- For the pancakes add flour and salt to a bowl the add the boiling water, mix until it has formed a dough. On a floured surface kneed until smooth, around 5 minutes is required. Refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Split the dough into 12 small balls and pat flat with your hands. Cover each side with a little oil and roll as thinly as possible with a rolling pin. Place a frying pan on a medium low heat and cook pancakes through one at a time. Cook around 30 sec on each side. However time will vary depending on pancake thickness and pan heat. Make pancakes just before service.
- You can have your duck hot or cold, depending on your preference. Serve with sauce, spring onions and cucumber.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.
Off to market.