If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a beautiful recipe to serve at the holidays. Tis the season to take advantage of fresh cranberries. Also, the cranberry chutney can be used for turkey sandwiches, or as a side with duck. Stilton cheese, historically called 'the King of Cheeses', is milder than Roquefort or Gorgonzola, so keep that in mind when thinking of substitutions. This recipe was adapted from 'The Gourmet Cookbook' by Ruth Reichl. - ashleychasesdinner
Makes 32 squares
- 1 ready made pie crust - keep refrigerated until ready to use
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups crumbled Stilton- chilled with any rind removed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped
- 1 12 ounce bag of fresh or frozen ( not thawed) cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- MAKE TART SHELL:Roll out ready made dough to a 11 inch circle. Fit dough into a 9- inch fluted round tart pan with removable bottom.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights, dried beans or rice. Bake until sides are set and edges are golden, about 15 minutes.
- Gently remove foil and weights. Bake until golden all over, about 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool. Reduce oven temperture to 325 degrees.
- MAKE THE FILLING: In a small bowl whisk together cream, eggs, yolks, salt, and pepper until combined.
- Place tart shell (still in pan), on a baking sheet and Sscatter cheese evenly over bottom of shell. Slowly pour cream mixture into shell. Bake until filling is golden around edges and just set, about 30 minutes. Cool tart completely in pan on rack. Cut into sqaures and serve with cranberry chutney spooned on top.
- CRANBERRY CHUTNEY:Heat oil on a 3 quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, just til berries burst, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.